I’ve been seriously contemplating purchasing the iPhone 3G. I’ve never had my finger so close the trigger in this impulse buy, but again I must evaluate this decision objectively. Of my by big wins are the ability to be productive with it and have speedy Internet. I go into the arguments for and against purchasing the new iPhone.
- The iPhone will have 3G and Wireless capability, resulting in reliable and speedy Internet access times.
- The iPhone will introduce the App Store, where I can obtain tons of cool, free or nominally priced applications that are certified by Apple.
- The iPhone will support Microsoft Exchange, aka, “work.”
- Truly hand-held GPS functionality.
- A 2MP camera, with support for geotagging the location of the picture.
- The iPhone has numerous positive reviews since it’s release to the market.
- The iPhone will be locked down even further from hackers. (“Bricked from purchase“)
- I dislike AT&T, due to my prior experience with their inept customer service.
- AT&T has agreed to volunteer customer information to the NSA, without warrants.
- To use the iPhone effectively, one must subscribe to AT&T’s exorbitant pricing structure. (No competition.)
- The iPhone lacks basic Copy & Paste operations (which the Blackberry and Treo currently offer) and native Instant Messaging applications (e.g., Yahoo, GMail, AIM).
Currently, I’m a loyal Verizon user who still has about 10 months remaining on my 24-month contract. I’d be willing to break it in favor of the iPhone. My LG VX8300 still has great call quality, but shoddy Internet capabilities.
Another thing to consider is the price. Though, consumers and I will pay literally any amount for something as long as it provides good value in return.
COST OF THE IPHONE 3G WITH AT&T
+$199 one-time, iPhone 8GB.
+$36 one-time activation fee
== $236, up front, one time.
+$70 monthly, for the 450 minute plan, excluding taxes.
(One year of ownership == $840+)
(Two years of ownership == $1,680+)
TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP, 2 YEARS: $1,916+ (plus taxes)
Is it worth it? Maybe. What do you think? Should I get an iPhone? … is it time?